Friday, May 19, 2017

5th Grade Block on Alexander The Great

This block was the perfect transition between our Ancient Egypt block and our Ancient Greece block. My fifth grader loved hearing all the adventures of Alexander. There was a lot of reading in this block, so plan accordingly. I used the Earthschooling material for this block, but any good book tellling the story of Alexander the Great would have worked too. I had used this one (in French) for the twins 2 years ago. Please leave a comment if you have used a book you liked for this block (French or English).



















2 comments:

Catherine said...

We used the John Gunther biography. I thought it was very good, although I didn't like some of his judgements (I prefer to let the reader/listener draw their own conclusions :-)) so I just skipped those bits. Alexander was no saint, but I cried when he died. It was an amazing achievement for one so young.

Catherine said...

I really liked his story too and felt very connected to him. I liked that he was openly gay in an era where it was not easy to do so.