Thursday, July 22, 2010

Our first orienteering outing

JF has been doing orienteering runs and adventure races since we lived in Toronto, 8 years ago. It is one of his passions. Needless to say, he was pretty eager to share this sport with his daughters. Since orienteering is not really big in Quebec, it was our first family orienteering outing. The girls did amazing and we had a blast!

JF fait de la course d'orientation et des courses d'aventure depuis que nous avons vécu à Toronto, il y a 8 ans. C'est une de ses passions. Évidemment, il avait plutôt hâte de partager ce sport avec ses filles. Étant donné que la course d'orientation n'est pas très populaire au Québec, nous avons fait notre première sortie d'orientation en famille hier soir. Les filles ont été super et nous nous sommes bien amusés!














:: Usnea, a powerful antibiotics of the boreal forest ::
:: De l'usnée, un puissant antibiotique de la forêt boréale ::









:: Soapberries: tart berries that will turn into a pink whipped cream when whipped (we call it fairy whipped cream) ::
:: Shépherdie du Canada : de petites baies amères qui une fois fouettées donnent une belle crème fouettée rose (que l'on appelle crème fouettée de fées) ::




When I re-read my last posts, I realize that there has been a lot of firsts since we arrived here. I think this is part of my love-hate relationship with the Yukon: it takes me out of my comfort zone... nature-wise and sport-wise... I have always liked to push my own limits, but the Yukon challenges me on another level.

Quand je relis mes derniers billets, je constate qu'il y a eu beaucoup de premières depuis notre arrivée ici. Je pense que ça explique un peu ma relation d'amour-haine avec le Yukon : je sors de ma zone de confort en ce qui concerne la nature et le sport... J'ai toujours aimé pousser mes propres limites, mais le Yukon me fait travailler à un autre niveau.

It probably has to do with finding my own limits and affirming them in front of others without feeling inadequate or not good enough... A feeling I am not used to face much... Didn't I say that I was calling this year the Year of the good enough? Well, we are constantly learning, aren't we?

Ça a sans doute à voir avec le fait de trouver mes propres limites et de les affirmer devant les autres sans me sentir inadéquate ou pas assez bonne... Un sentiment auquel je ne suis pas habituée... N'avais-je pas déclaré que cette année était l'année du good enough (juste assez bon)? On est en constant apprentissage, n'est-ce pas?

No comments: